Jo Kontan

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Wouldn't It Be Good

"Tengah rushing for Meeting to Jalan Timur, terdengar pulak lagu ni kat radio. Lama betul tak kedengaran lagu nih. Teringat pulak jaman muda2 dulu..."


Welcome back to the eighties. 2nd Q, 1984 to be exact. How time flies. I was done with my SPM, and in Section 2, Shah Alam, doing crash course for my Toefl. Overly-eager-teenager with an overly-eager-outlook of the future.

Hey ! What would they say at that time. The future is so bright I have to wear a shade. He he.. Sukala Jo.

Coming from the East Coast, generally, we are placed in the lower rung English classes. The less. As I can remember, mostly the students in these kinda classes are from Mara KB, and KT. And of course, budok budok Jeghrantut, Maraenn. Those ulu schools. Mostly are boys who didn’t even know who the hell is Mills and Boons. Tak pernoh dengar pon.

Aiseyman, it took me a good 8 months to know there is a diference between moaning and mourning. How did I discover that, I have no comment.
How to compete with Kids from VIs and SSPs who scored full marks on their Toefl Trial, on the first sitting ? And those Sarawakian Kids. Until today, I still do not have an explanation why students, say, from Kanowit, are always better in English, from students coming from Jengka 18.

When I heard this song a moment ago, all of the memories came back rushing. The hairdos (Nick Kershaw’s), the wortel jeans, Section 2 and the lecturers. Remember Fatima Blush ?

I used to feel like this before and amusingly (syukor Alhamdulillah), after 21 odd years I feel the other way around, now..


I got it bad

You don't know how bad I got it
You got it easy
You don't know when you got it good


It's getting harder
Just keeping life and soul together
I'm sick of fighting
Even though I know I should

The cold is biting
Through each and every nerve and fibre
My broken spirit is frozen to the core

Don't wanna be here no more

Wouldn't it be good to be in your shoes
Even if it was for just one day
And wouldn't it be good if we could wish ourselves away

Wouldn't it be good to be on your side
The grass is always greener over there
Wouldn't it be good if we cold live without a care

You must be joking
You don't know a thing about it
You've got no problem
I'd stay right there if it were you

I got it harder
You couldn't dream how hard it got it
Stay out of my shoes
If you know what's good for you
The heat is stifling
Burning me up from the inside
The sweat is coming through each and every pore

Don't wanna be here no more

Wouldn't it be good to be in your shoes
Even if it was just for one day
And wouldn't it be good if we could wish ourselves away
Wouldn't it be good to be on your side
The grass is always greener over there
And wouldn't it be good if we could live without a care


20 Comments:

  • Dear Tj,

    But not all the MRSM students, MCKK,SSP,STF and other well known school were good in English. Some were in the behind sets if I can recall.

    How do u explain a Felda boy like me ending up in a top 5 TOEFL/Class?

    Top hits during the time include Billy Jean and knife.


    Rgds,

    kna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM, January 26, 2006  

  • 1984 aku baru form 1.

    By Blogger Ir. Hanafi Ali, at 12:25 PM, January 26, 2006  

  • He he KNA,

    Simply, you read very well.

    By Blogger Jo Kontan, at 12:38 PM, January 26, 2006  

  • Ondeonde,

    Yesss,that is the one by Rockwell. I do a nice enough karaoke cover version,hehehehehe.


    Rgds,

    kna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 PM, January 26, 2006  

  • Jo : 1984 I ada kat Shah Alam. Selalu gak menebeng kat gerai Section 2.

    By Blogger MA, at 2:32 PM, January 26, 2006  

  • "Awok oghang kontan, oghang kontan mane pandei sangat omputeh" that was one my schoolmates said to me on my first day at school. Hampeh, ape ingat oghang kontan, koman(u have to read this is pahang punya slang baru real) sangat ke? muahahhahaa..aku masuk set one..

    By Blogger Arena, at 3:30 PM, January 26, 2006  

  • Kita almost berselisih kat Section 2 then!

    By Blogger anggerik merah, at 8:45 PM, January 26, 2006  

  • Onde2

    IMHO, you are just like KNA, voracious reader. Plus, having a father who loves to read, and write.

    I have a friend who excel English just by reading English Comic Magazine, (Incredible Hug etc). His collection can fill a small store.

    Teras : Oh ! But your English does not indicate so. :-)


    KNA : Rockwell ?!
    Yang aku ingat "I got a feel like somebody's watching meeee"

    Yer ke hok ni Rockwell gak.


    MA : EH MA Buat apa kat situ ? Congak-congak Jo... Takkan MA mengajar masa tuu ?? Hmmmmp


    Arena : Awok orghang Kontan. Kawan tok tau pun. Kawan dok Khabor orghang Kontan dok terror. Hok yang skoloh kat MGS tuu, MRS-Enggg terror belaker.


    PB : Baleeek. Senin gi Ganu, Selasa gi KB, Rabu Tasik Banding...
    Nok roung pata timoor.



    AM : Yup Yup Yuuuup !! I think so. :-)

    BTW Kawan Hajjah telah selamat sampai di Malaysia 3 hari sudah. Haiiiyoo..Saya bila lagi ?

    By Blogger Jo Kontan, at 8:40 AM, January 27, 2006  

  • Iyo, aku oghang kontanlah, malam ni balik kontan..eh tengah malam baliklah, tak daye jem dekat karak nun, asyik baiki jalan jek. aku budak MGS masa primary sampai menengoh rendoh..pastu masuk asrama..mase dekat asramalah bebudak memandang rendoh padaku yang tak rendoh nih..muahahahha..seronoknya jumpa budak kuantan nih..dulu tak heran dekat TC tuh..tak hingin nak mandi..doh kejer dekat KL nih, kalau balik mandi pantai saje... teruk ammaaattt..

    By Blogger Arena, at 9:00 AM, January 27, 2006  

  • dear jo,

    thought that i'm the only one who had that kind of feeling, always wishing to be someone else, somewhere else, doing something else.. mcm jugak dlm lagu 100 years (five for fighting) ada kata ...and i'm just dreaming counting the ways to where you are...

    haha guess zaman peralihan (remaja to dewasa) mmg mcm tu kot, sbb me now pun dah tak rasa that way lagi, selesa being just me

    wassalam.
    - i m me -

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 AM, January 27, 2006  

  • Weh..aku orang bukik pong tahu cakap omputih...tapi kalu buat toefl tu, sure fail nyer..sebab bab-bab skoloh bodoh do'oh..

    kira orang kontan tu bandar lah tu...boleh ek.

    By Blogger Lily G, at 10:54 AM, January 27, 2006  

  • aik..sejok bila aku jadi lily lambchop nih? you want to be my chicken chop:P

    By Blogger Lily G, at 10:55 AM, January 27, 2006  

  • I'm Me : I just got back TT with my friends.

    Kita semua nya sama..

    Thanks for dropping by


    Lily : Berdo'oh la mu, cunninglinguist, tok terror. Satu skoloh tau mu sorang jer dok score 1119. He he he.

    LambChop nii aku rasa, amusing, interesting. No problem meh ?!

    By Blogger Jo Kontan, at 5:04 PM, January 27, 2006  

  • Tok kesoh pong. Saje je komeng. I think it's funny too. Dulu kat opis ada balak cino suka panggil aku lambchop. So aku panggil dia porkchop :P

    By Blogger Lily G, at 8:02 PM, January 27, 2006  

  • boh, 1984! kawarn baru darjoh 4, sekolah rendoh st. thomas pun masok tahun 87. cakap orang putih mmg kawarn tok tahu setaram lagi. hidup tojo!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 AM, January 29, 2006  

  • Excellent, love it! » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:52 AM, February 03, 2007  

  • best regards, nice info » » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 PM, February 03, 2007  

  • Where did you find it? Interesting read »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 AM, February 05, 2007  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:08 AM, February 08, 2007  

  • Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 PM, March 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com
topi jo's photos More of topi jo's photos
www.flickr.com
topi jo's photos part 2 More of topi jo's photos
 

Free Web Stats